In this week's episode Brett MItchell and Martin Kiernan talk to Julie Storr. Julie is a consultant to the World Health Organisation who originally started her infection prevention career in Oxford in the UK. We hear how Julie was motivated by patient stories of isolation and virtual imprisonment in elderly care settings to try and bring compassion into play, supported by sound infection prevention principles. Here are links to some of the outputs from Julie's work to date.
- The open letter in Nursing Times: Infection prevention and control should never be at the expense of compassionate care https://www.nursingtimes.net/opinion/open-letter-infection-prevention-and-control-should-never-be-at-the-expense-of-compassionate-care-16-10-2020/
- AJIC letter: Storr J, Kilpatrick C, Vassallo A. Safe infection prevention and control practices with compassion - A positive legacy of COVID-19. Am J Infect Control. 2021;49(3):407-408. doi:10.1016/j.ajic.2020.12.016 https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1ceIEijjYWgI7
- BMJ Opinion piece: Enforced restrictions to care home access—unfair, unnecessary, and harmful https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2021/07/15/enforced-restrictions-to-care-home-access-unfair-unnecessary-and-harmful/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_term=hootsuite&utm_content=sme&utm_campaign=usage
- Compassionomics: The Revolutionary Scientific Evidence That Caring Makes a Difference https://www.compassionomics.com/
- WHO (2016) Guidance for managing ethical issues in infectious disease outbreaks. World Health Organization. https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/250580
- Compassion Rounds: The Taskforce for Global Health - Focus Area for Compassion and Ethics https://taskforce.org/face/#:~:text=The%20Focus%20Area%20for%20Compassion,to%2Dday%20decision%2Dmaking .
- Resources for care homes developed with campaigning group Care Home Relatives Scotland: www.enablesafecare.org
- Webber telecasts 9 March 2021: Reimagining Infection Prevention With Compassion - A Positive Legacy of COVID-19? https://webbertraining.com/recordingslibraryc4.php